The Word Gallery: a community exhibit of words ~ spoken, written, and sung.
Grounded in the experience that Art Transforms, it is the Word Gallery’s mission to create and foster open, affirming, dynamic spaces in which artists of all ages, genres, levels, and languages are inspired and empowered to give sound to our story and volume to our voice.
Founded in September 2012, The Word Gallery fosters a variety of programming offering the community in and around Waco a myriad of opportunities for creative expression. It is our goal to support the community in two ways: engage with existing programming by promoting, attending, and raising awareness about events; and create new events which encourage, empower, and invite artists at all ages and levels to practice, discuss, and explore the written, sung, and spoken-word arts. Some of our projects include: Word Gallery Open Mic, In the Words of Womyn writing circle, Youth Writing workshops, Waco Poets Society, Waco Cultural Arts WordFest just to name a few.
Our Website, Resources, & Programs:
- Blog: features articles about events, submissions from local writers, and announcements about upcoming Word Happenings
- Community Creative: info and announcements about other creative happenings in and around Waco we like to promote and support
- Open Mics & Readings: a resource about open mics, author readings, and other word-art related performance opportunities in Waco and beyond
- Page & Stage: calls for submissions to various magazines, contests, and publications; information about Poetry & Literary Festivals throughout Texas
- Write On!: writing tips, prompts, and resources; Freewrite Friday; @WordAroundWaco pop-up writing circles
- Writing Workshops & Circles: a resource for writers to connect & practice the written & spoken-word arts through workshops, classes, and circles
- Calendar: monthly listings of events put on by Word Gallery and by others happening throughout the community and around Texas
Founder: Jenuine Poetess ~click for full bio